Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sam Adams Chocolate Bock

I fully expected this offering to be my favorite.   A chocolate bock would generally be a highlight for me.   The beer comes in at 5.8% ABV. The beer poured a rich dark black. The hops and chocolate smells were immediately present.   Almost no head.   The chocolate is a bit on the light side. The bright caramely malts come through early with more than expected carbonation based on how it poured.   Later the hops follow and this beer begins to be a more complex tasting experience.  The chocolate lingers last and is definitely strong. Despite being a chocolate bock this isn't as sweet as some other beers of the style.   It does make for an enjoyable beer. It could probably stand a better balance of hops and chocolate but as it stands it's a fair representation of the style. I will admit I am a bit biased to dark bocks, however. Probably my second favorite of the Sams winter ales.

No comments:

Post a Comment