Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sam Adams Winter Lager

The beer is described as a traditional lager spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, orange, and ginger. As it was poured the first thing I noticed was the color was darker than I expected; darker that he regular Sam Adams Boston Lager.  The hops smell is more noticeable than expected for a lager.  There seem to be two noticeable hops flavors but it soon becomes apparent that the second thing smelled are the spices.  Any malt flavor seems to be overpowered by hops and spices.  While I don't associate the taste with Christmas like I might a harvest ale or Oktoberfest with fall this is an enjoyable beer.  I had hoped to find this more enjoyable than their Boston lager and I must say that I do.  While I did not expect this offering to be one of the highlights of the Sam Adams winter seasonal beers it certainly is.  As the beer warms the hops flavor mellows and blends with the spices.  The spice character becomes more pronounced which makes the entire experience interesting. This is another solid offering in the winter offerings and certainly worth picking up.

No comments:

Post a Comment